Saturday, February 25, 2006

Life is a blossoming rose

Today is likely to be a day out of time…for many reasons. I am going with my childhood buddy Lori to a day spa, (a gift from a friend) and before that to a yarn shop, a book store, and a vegetarian lunch. It sounds like the ultimate pampered mini-vacation to me! I can use the relaxation and, yes, the endorphin-producing spa treatment!

Having the strength to move through stress is something we pretty much take for granted in our culture of five-day 40+ hour work weeks and crushed, errand-filled weekends. How many people work until 5 on Friday, hurry to the grocery store before going home, only to realize, week after week, that the Friday night crowds will keep them there until 7, when they rush home to make dinner and fall asleep in front of the TV by 9 pm – or drag their weary bodies out to the obligatory Weekend-starting night out with friends? I had a visit from a friend who is living in Europe now, and this got me thinking about this culture of stress we endure. For her, 2 hour lunches are the norm – a break in the middle of the day for chocolate and a roll and a chat with friends, energizes her for a few more hours of work. Thursday night is the common night out for everyone, and Friday at work is a relaxed day because of that. Fewer cars on the roads and lots of walking encourage healthy relaxation to and from work, to and from lunch, to and from the clubs. Shopping is done – just what she’s able to carry - on the walk home from work and in just a few minutes. Leisure is an important aspect of the culture – it’s the fabric of life, the bonding of love. For us, here, leisure is the snatched kiss in the copy room closet – too fast, too impatient, exciting but infrequent. No wonder stress-related dis-ease is so prevalent. Another friend related to me a story of his time in Switzerland, where hours were spent leisurely chatting with friends and toasting cheese over a fire. When was the last time I….? Well, never. No, never.

My life: I wish for the precious blossoming rose that is my life a little more leisure, a lot more love, a gentle presence, long conversations, meals of communion rather than fast food, and a pleasure in work well and carefully done.

The knitting:

Here is the single leg warmer (right leg). I *am* working on the second one! Perhaps not with the same fervor, but its coming along….

Image hosting by Photobucket

These are two of Holly’s Story-Hour finger puppets. As you can see, the Wizard is a bit giddy and the Witch needs her face embroidered!

Image hosting by Photobucket

I heard yesterday that I’ll be meeting another Pisces artist at a mutual birthday party on my upcoming trip to the West coast, so I have started this Old Shale shawl for her (she’s a potter and lives on an island, so Old Shale – or Old Shell, as its more ancient name reads – seemed right). The yarn is a spool I got at the thrift store for $2 and is marked 100% mohair. It’s a very light blue mixed with grey – like mist on the ocean….

Image hosting by Photobucket

No comments: