Wednesday, December 22, 2010

It's beginning to look....

a lot like Christmas....

Snow is in the air... fat flakes that drift on the stiff wind past my window in great updrafts and swirls through the courtyard of these old brick buildings. I wish that I could show you, but I left my phone camera on the sofa-side table this morning. We'll have to make do with artificial snow and the prettiest I've found is on the vintage bottle-brush trees that are scattered throughout everyone's decorations this year...

Photobucket

I remember these trees from my childhood - my grandmother always put up little scenarios that involved plastic and plaster deer, wax candle snowmen with black top hats and choir boys and girls singing from big books, all posed around a forest of bottle-brush trees in various colours...

Photobucket

I like them plain, and I like them with the white snow painted on their branch-tips, but I love them decorated with the wee tiny bulbs, pompoms, and festoons:

Photobucket

Photobucket

a search for 'bottle brush Christmas trees' will bring you to a seemingly endless collection of shops that sell these (and other ) vintage Holiday decorations - shops on Etsy and other more commercial sites!

But my favorite discovery this morning was a blog - The Adventures of Bluegirl - where I found not only the most adorable bottle brush wreath of all time, but some pretty stunning step by step directions for making it!

Photobucket

No comments: