Sunday, August 31, 2008

Tea in the City

Do you recognize this street corner?

Photobucket

This is Newbury Street, Boston. I went on a tea and yarn shop search yesterday. It's been a long time since I've been to Newbury Street - usually my trips to Boston end up in Cambridge.

The morning started, of course, with tea in the sidewalk cafe at Tealux:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love wandering, window-shopping, and exploring. I saw lots of knitting and crochet in shop windows, and recognized these particular knitted curlicues from patterns in my vintage books:

Photobucket

This syle is a little dowdy, isn't it? Is it 60's style - the tan curvy suit coat over a baggy print dress?

The city itself is more stylish! One thing about Boston is its beauty. The buildings themselves are works of art in brick and stone:

Photobucket

Eventually the new yarn shop was found by my sharp-eyed bf, and I suddenly felt at home. Even though it was one small second-floor room, I spent an hour there, looking at everything, touching everything, envisioning each yarn as a special something, and admiring the beautiful samples made by the shop owner. One was an intricate cashmere lace scarf that caught my bf's attention - he wondered if I would make one for his mother for Christmas? So...some very nice yarn came home with me! and I bought myself a pair of baseball knitting needles.

Photobucket

What is it about Boston that is so magical and compelling? I'm always happy when I'm there...

Today my health is a little fragile, so I'm drinking my tea at home and yukking it up over these very hilarious old recipe cards.

2 comments:

Logospilgrim, the quiet professor said...

*wraps you in a healing and most affectionate robed embrace*

Your photographs always fill my heart with happiness, my dearest one.

Unraveling Sophia said...

Thank you so much dear friend!